You’ll need to provide proof you live at your service address where:
- – you have recently moved into an address and the prior occupant has not disconnected the phone line or nbn™ service in their name
- – there is an existing active phone line or nbn™ service at your address which is not in your name; or
- – there is an existing active phone line at your address which in your name but you cannot provide the phone number to us
This is called Proof of Occupancy.
Why do I need to show Proof of Occupancy?
As the previous occupant at this address has not arranged for the disconnection of their phone service, we need ‘Proof of Occupancy’ (i.e. proof that you live at your address) to allow us to place a request to NBN Co to disconnect the prior occupants service so we can connect the nbn™ service in your name.
In order for you to take ownership of the line and allow your nbn™ connection to proceed, we must sight a Proof of Occupancy document to confirm your residence and provide this to the NBN Co. This authorises us to disconnect the existing service and connect the nbn™ service in your name.
What Proof of Occupancy documents can I provide?
A Proof of Occupancy document can include any one of these:
- – Lease
- – Rental Agreement
- – Contract of Sale
- – A utility bill with your name and address on it (must match the address we are connecting)
- – Letter of confirmation from a nursing home (on appropriate letter head)
- – Statutory declaration* from the property owner and the rent receipt from the new occupant
- – Statutory declaration* from the property owner and the bond payment receipt
- – Letter from the real estate agent and the rent receipt from the new occupant
- – Letter from the real estate agent and the bond payment receipt.
Please send through pages which include all these details:
- – Full name
- – Service Address
- – Lease/rental commencement date or settlement date
How do I send my Proof of Occupancy documents to you?
If you need to provide Proof of Occupancy, we will contact your by SMS and/or Email to ask you to send us a scanned copy of the accepted document by email to email@example.com. To assist us to process your order quickly, please add “Proof of Occupancy” and your order number in the subject line of your email.
Please Note if your name is different to your account details, please include a statutory declaration to explain the difference with supporting information such as Drivers Licence or Marriage Certificate. A statutory declaration must be signed by an appropriate witness e.g. a Justice of the Peace, police officer, chemist, or medical practitioner.
When will my service be connected?
Once the documents have been received and sent to the NBN Co, it normally takes the NBN Co 5-7 business days to validate the Proof of Occupancy and disconnect the prior occupants’ service. After the prior occupants’ service has been disconnected, the normal nbn™ connection timeframes apply.
Please note that if your Proof of Occupancy documents have not been received within 14 business days of the Requested Connection Date, your order may be withdrawn.